At HSBC, our strengths across the evolving economic landscape and our stable presence in developed markets give us a strong competitive advantage. Our investment banking arm, Global Banking and Markets, contributed almost half of the group’s underlying profits in 2012. Technology is at the heart of everything that happens here: from market-leading research to trading stocks, bonds and currencies around the world.
Across the financial industry banks are racing to gain competitive technological advantage. Technological excellence is as important to HSBC’s P&L as the trader on the desk.
- GBM Technology provides GBM business with global technological infrastructure, systems and support to deliver this competitive advantage to HSBC
- ie In 2005 FX volumes approx 10,000 daily, in 2013 200,000 plus transactions daily.
- GBM Technology provides the robust, intelligent infrastructure to support this increase in business
- Innovation, Innovation, Innovation……
- Complexity and specialisation are the norm for Global Banking and Markets
- Time to Market vs Bullet Proof Infrastructure
Samir Assaf, CEO of GBM has stated that GBM Business growth strategy is founded on investment in IT:-
“Our business is about technology. The differential is technology”. “We will not hire hundreds of people in the front office. I have one item of investment. This item is technology”
Graduate opportunities: Global Banking & Markets Technology Programme
This two-year programme offers you the opportunity to enhance your skills and gain the experience you need to excel at HSBC as a Business Analyst, Project Manager, Developer, Architect or Tester. In HSBC Technology Services, Global Banking and Markets Technology, this means building your expertise in our technological architecture and operational processes as well as gaining exposure to the ideas and technology that are transforming investment banking
Who can apply?
Applicants can hold a degree in any discipline but should be on track for a 2:1, have strong analytical and numeric skills and enjoy the challenge of problem solving within an international team. You should be passionate about technology and good at building relationships.
What to expect
Over the course of the programme you’ll undertake four, six-month placements working in technology for front office, post-trade, infrastructure, and support or control functions.
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Work with dynamic and highly competent technologists in our own secure innovation labs, where you can download and prototype new technologies
- Be involved in preparations for major new industry regulations, create new or develop current platforms, or contribute to the design and maintenance of an existing award-winning platform
Learning, development and support
Starting with an in-depth global induction programme that lasts for four weeks and takes place just outside of London, you'll learn about HSBC's strategy, culture and values. You will also receive technical and interpersonal skills training alongside others on the programme.
Over the course of the programme you will:
- Receive highly structured training that will encourage you to reach your full potential
- Have regular access to business leaders for coaching and personal progress advice
- Receive regular and constructive business feedback on your performance
- Gain insight into HSBC’s distinct strengths in the financial services industry
- Develop your knowledge of Global Banking and Markets and Technology
- Grow your professional reputation and build an invaluable network of global contacts with peers and senior management.
At HSBC, we are committed to the learning and development of our graduate analysts and believe that is best supported in a work environment that values diversity, respect and a healthy work-life balance.
How to apply
Visit www.hsbc.com/careers and complete an on-line application and numerical test. For those who are successful at this stage, telephone interview and assessment centre follow.